Amex Love Dining is an exclusive programme for American Express cardholders to benefit from discounts at some of the most popular high-end cafes and restaurants in Singapore, categorised into those at independent establishments and 5-star hotels.
This article serves as a comprehensive guide on the Amex Love Dining benefits, including everything you need to know about the programme’s terms and conditions.
What It Is / How It Works
The Amex Love Dining programme offers discounts and benefits to Singaporeans who own one of the Amex Platinum cards, and is specifically tailored to provide dining-related perks and benefits. It offers cardholders the chance to eat out at discounted prices in two categories of restaurants: hotel dining and independent restaurant dining.
American Express is currently partnered with 6 leading hotels in Singapore: Fairmont Singapore, Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel, Swissotel Merchant Court, The Capitol Kempinski Hotel, Swissotel The Stamford, The St. Regis Singapore, and W Singapore - Sentosa Cove. Cardholders can dine at a number of restaurants in each of these hotels at reduced prices.
There are a further 23 independent restaurants that cardholders can use their discount at, including those providing Asian, international, Western, Italian and contemporary cuisine. These restaurants are high-end or fine dining, as well as being some of the most popular in Singapore.
Using Amex Love Dining
The American Express Love Dining is fairly straightforward to get to grips with. Singaporeans who hold one of the eligible American Express cards – covered in more detail below – can visit the Amex Love Dining website and select their restaurant of choice. They can then book a reservation at the restaurant by calling the Concierge’s number on the back of their credit card.
Once cardholders have enjoyed their dining experience, they just need to notify a server that they will be paying with their American Express Platinum card and the server will provide the bill with the discount applied.
The exact discount cardholders are entitled to depends on the number of parties dining. Two people can receive a 50% discount, while three receive up to 35% discount, four receive 25% discount, and five to ten receive 20% discount. Cardholders who are dining alone also receive a discount of up to 15%.
Miles or Strictly For Palate?
The Amex Love Dining programme is for dining only. While American Express points can be converted to air miles for travel with certain airlines, this scheme is entirely separate from the Love Dining programme.
If you’d prefer to benefit from air miles from your credit card, consider purchasing the KrisFlyer UOB Credit Card, which currently offers up to 12,000 KrisFlyer miles or a return ticket for new UOB Credit Cardmembers, plus up to 5,000 KrisFlyer miles for existing UOB Credit Cardmembers, and the opportunity to earn up to 3 KrisFlyer miles on everyday spend with $500 minimum spend.
Applicable Amex cards
To be eligible for Amex platinum dining, you will need to own – and pay with – one of the following cards:
1. The Centurion® Card
The American Express Centurion Card is a credit card with an initiation fee of $7,500 and an ongoing annual fee of $2,500. It offers a cash advance of prime rate + 21.99%, with an interest-free period of 25 days.
2. American Express Platinum Credit Card
The American Express Platinum Credit Card is a credit card for users with a minimum income of $50,000. It has an annual fee of $321 and offers two main rewards options: 2 membership rewards per $1.60 spent or 10 membership rewards per $1.60 at Platinum EXTRA Partners. Its minimum cashback rate is 1.25%, and it has a 22-day interest-free period. Current offers include receiving a luggage bonus when having spent $4500 in total spend in the first 3 months, and receiving $20 CapitaVouchers for each approved supplementary card.
3. The American Express® Platinum Reserve Credit card
The American Express® Platinum Reserve Credit card is a credit card with an annual fee of $535. The card enables you to earn a total of 2 Membership Rewards points for every S$1.60 spent in Singapore and abroad. New members can receive 50,000 Membership Rewards points when they spend S$5,000 within the first 6 months of card approval.
The Fine Print
As with all rewards and benefits programmes, the Love Dining American Express programme has several terms and conditions to be aware of that aren’t immediately obvious on the website. It’s useful to take note of the fine print:
- You will notice that in the dining structure, you can receive up to 35% off dining for two and 15% off dining alone. This essentially means that the majority of restaurants won’t offer this exact discount – the only restaurants that do are those at the Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel, The St. Regis Singapore and W Singapore – Sentosa Cove.
- The Fairmont Singapore, Swissôtel The Stamford and Swissôtel Merchant Court have their own specific savings for certain dining situations – namely a 33% discount when dining with two friends and a 10% discount when dining alone.
- In partner restaurants, each diner must enjoy one food item that qualifies for the Love Dining programme for the whole party to receive a discount. “Food item” refers to the type of food and service available – and, according to the Love Dining website, is categorised as either buffet or a la carte. The table below highlights which restaurants have a qualifying food item as buffet, and which have a qualifying food item as a la carte:
- There are some hotel restaurants that aren’t applicable for the Love Dining Amex program. These are: Alligator Pear and Anti:dote (Fairmont Singapore), Bar Rouge, Skai Bar and The Stamford Brasserie (Swissôtel The Stamford), Crossroads Bar (Swissôtel Merchant Court), Marriott Cafe and Wan Hao Chinese Restaurant (Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel), and WOOBAR (The St. Regis Singapore and W Singapore – Sentosa Cove).
- Love Dining discounts are only available during lunch and dinner (not breakfast) at each participating outlet, unless the restaurant states otherwise.
- You cannot use your Love Dining discounts on dishes ordered from set menus, promotional items and child menus, unless the restaurant states otherwise.
- Savings are not applicable to a party with more than 10 diners in Love Dining hotels. In early 2020, discounts were extended to parties of 20 people in participating independent restaurants.
- You can only use one card per party (multiple cards by several diners in the party will not produce a larger discount).
- Some restaurants may have blackout dates on which a Love Dining discount can’t be used, such as during Chinese New Year. You can find out a specific restaurant’s blackout dates by visiting the Amex Love Dining website, finding the restaurant in the website’s catalogue, and clicking “terms and conditions” beneath the restaurant’s image. This will provide you with a clickable link that will take you the restaurant’s full terms and conditions, including blackout dates.
How and Where to Benefit from Amex Love Dining
The Amex Love Dining programme features some of Singapore’s top restaurants and 5-star hotels – and the best thing is, you’re unlikely to benefit from such high discounts in any other situation, even if you are part of a restaurant or hotel membership.
The current full list of independent restaurants at which you can receive Amex Love Dining discounts can be found on the American Express website. As the exact partner restaurants change from time to time, it’s worth checking the website before making a reservation at a restaurant you expect to receive a discount at.
When visiting the Love Dining website, you can look through the full list of options, visit the “What’s New” page, which displays a list of new or trending partners who may have joined Love Dining or have a new offer, or a change in menu or serving style. Currently featured on this page are Prego (Fairmont Singapore), Marriot Tang Plaza Hotel, and The Capitol Kempinski Hotel, which are now offering take-outs until 30th June.
If you would prefer to look through the full catalogue of restaurants, you can do so on the “Dining Partners” page. There is a wide range of options to suit a number of different dining styles, including:
Sen Of Japan
Credit: Sen of Japan
As one of the Amex Love Dining programme’s five Asian offerings, Sen Of Japan is a modern Japanese restaurant with a 4 out of 5 rating on TripAdvisor. The restaurant offers Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Asian and Fusion cuisine with vegan and vegetarian friendly options.
FYR is one of the Love Dining American Express programme’s eight Western options, and is a modern grill restaurant that focuses on cooking with fire – grilling, barbequing, roasting, searing and smoking. It currently rates 4.5 out of 5 on TripAdvisor.
Credit: Burlamacco Ristorante
Amex Love Dining offers four Italian dining offerings, and Burlamacco Ristorante, based on Stanley Street, is particularly popular with a 4.5-star rating on TripAdvisor. It offers classic Italian dishes, including pasta, pizza, grilled meats and a selection of traditional desserts.
Napoleon Food & Wine Bar
Credit: Napoleon Food & Wine Bar
The Napoleon Food & Wine Bar is one of the three contemporary offers by Amex Love Dining. With a 4 out of 5-star TripAdvisor rating, the bar and restaurant offers an extensive wine list and a French-style food menu.
As well as independent restaurants, American Express Platinum cardholders can also benefit from dining discounts at a number of hotel restaurants. You can check out all the participating hotel restaurants at the “Dining Partners” page on the Love Dining website.
There are a number of different cuisines to choose from that can be found, including Mediterranean, Chinese, Italian, and Indian, with restaurants serving a la carte dishes or set up buffet-style.
These restaurants can be found in an assortment of Singapore’s leading hotels. American Express’ current Love Dining hotel partners are:
- Fairmont Singapore – featuring the Asian Market Café, Mikuni, Prego, Anti:dote, and Szechuan Court
- Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel – featuring the Lobby Lounge, Marriott Café, Wan Hao Chinese Restaurant, and Crossroads
- Swissotel Merchant Court – featuring the Blue Potato, Ellenborough Market Café, and Crossroads Bar
- Swissotel The Stamford – featuring the SKAI Restaurant and Bar, Clove, Kopi Tiam, The Stamford Brasserie, and Bar Rouge
- The St. Regis Singapore – featuring The Drawing Room, Brasserie Les Saveurs, Yan Ting, and LaBrezza
- The Capitol Kempinski Hotel – featuring 15 Stamford by Alvin Leung, Capitol Milk Bar, Chalerm Thai, El Teatro Tapas, Frieda, and La Scala Ristorante
- W Singapore - Sentosa Cove – featuring SKIRT, The Kitchen Table, and WooBar
You can browse the page by scrolling down and clicking on the restaurants below the hotel images for more information.
Remember that when it comes to dining at both restaurant and independent hotels, you will need to make sure you order at least one food item per guest in the party, and it needs to be a qualifying food item to be eligible for a discount. This means ordering a la carte when it is listed as applicable, or buffet when it is listed as applicable.
To make things even more complex, some foods or menus within a la carte-style dining may still not be applicable for obtaining a discount. For example, ordering from a set menu will usually prevent you from being entitled to your discount. If in doubt, speak to your server before you make an order.
The Amex Love Dining programme is one of the more enjoyable perks for American Express Platinum cardholders who enjoy frequently dining out in Singapore. Perhaps the best thing about this programme is that cardholders don’t need to generate points in order to receive a discount at restaurants – they simply need to present their applicable card at an applicable restaurant.
There are certain terms that are worth reading and understanding before visiting a Love Dining restaurant, and keep in mind that each restaurant may have its own special privileges or conditions. Putting aside the potential complexities that may arise in certain situations, in all, Love Dining American Express is an impressive offering to make the most of.